Thursday, March 20, 2014

Free moving closures

This is one of those ideas that has taken me literally for ever to resolve.  It’s been in and out of drawers and pushed to the back of my table far too many times.  No more, I need this idea to finish some necklaces I have planned – especially since I personally prefer a shorter necklace length.  Can’t go over the head all the time…
I’m also planning to sell some of them (and others) in the shop so you’ll see in the photos that I have left the wire unfinished and sticking out of the mechanism (with some length) so that anyone who buys it to use in their work can make design choices about how it joins on.  This may be changed, we’ll see how it goes.


                  IMG_0477  IMG_0480
                 IMG_0478 
IMG_0479



You might be wondering why these are at all novel and it’s this simple feature:  the wire stays stationary (attached to your necklace ) while you screw and unscrew the clasp.  No more tension on the screw buried in the decorative part of the closure that will cause it to undo...and the  closure itself looks more like a bead than anything else.



                                            IMG_0481
Undone…
                                                 IMG_0483

There is a simple construction/mechanism that I designed ( I hesitate to use the word mechanism because it is very simple) that lets the wire move freely within the bead, but remain securely attached!  Very handy.  Great for bracelets as well and a bit of a change from a toggle!  


                                             IMG_0489

IMG_0491IMG_0492IMG_0493IMG_0494


There are also some other types of clasps I’ve been working on – these for example.  Two arms are joined by a screw and a polymer covered nut joins and secures the two sides.

                               
                                                        


IMG_0484

                                                    IMG_0488 


I have plans for much smaller and more ‘fine-boned’ closures of this type, but I need to source out really good quality tiny machine screw and nuts.  Perhaps my optometrist could help me here?  Or perhaps you other maker types out there?
Then, there’s this:  enough said….



                                IMG_0496               
IMG_0499


I’ve certainly had an interesting couple of months to start the year.  Best described as alternately exciting and frustrating.  I have 5 or 6 ideas that are all fascinating to me, but were going nowhere for the longest while.  This was one of them!  It feels good to have made some progress, because my  store has surely suffered for my inability to move forward: this state of mind often moves into other areas that have no reason to be stalled!


Back tomorrow with news of a shop update: it’ll be a big one….also some other big news!

16 comments:

A Polymer Penchant said...

I love, love, love it all more than I have words to say! I recall objects and elements sold microscres at one time... They are closing out so it may be worth a check.

fanciful devices said...

ZOMG! these are so brilliant it hurts!!! gonna run to the shop to see if any are up.

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

Lone these next steps :)

artybecca said...

Genius! People will love these.

Claire Lockwood said...

Wow! These are marvellous!

Deb Fortin said...

love these, so very organic. now what to add to them while allowing them to be the star of the show.?
I have a bunch of these screw clasps that i intended to add pretty stuff to them so they aren't so ugly. this is such a good result. procrastination can sometimes bring amazing results when we finally buckle down and just do it.
thanks for sharing

Wendy Jorre de St Jorre said...

Very clever stuff Claire I shall watch with much interest!

Genevieve said...

Fabulous! These are so great you should put the clasp at the FRONT of the necklace!
I've been pushing magnetic clasps to the back of the work table. Thanks for the encouragement to get back to them.

Kathy R. said...

Claire those are brilliant! Is there a tutorial in the works for the future? That would be qawesome!

Vintajia Adornments said...

Remember trying to cover the screw barrels but couldn't get them 'perfect'. These however are on an whole new level. Delicious!

KayzKreationz said...

These are really interesting. I really like the second set. Very nice.

BinkyM said...

Claire, what you've done looks terrific (but then, so does everything you do!), but I'm feeling so foolish because I can't tell what you started with. It seems as if everyone ELSE can tell, though. It doesn't seem to have been a barrel clasp, judging from the bottom-most photos (though the top-most ones made me think that), so I'm completely confoozelated. What am I missing? I'd be so grateful for "Claire-ification"!

Beatnheart said...

scary good...love your work...

Claire Maunsell said...

BinkyM, it's not a barrel clasp ( am not certain what that is.....
The two bits that screw together are a machine screw and nut made of stainless steel..they are built into each side of the finding. The wire that emerges from the hole in each side is attached to the clasp in such a way that the two can move independently of each other. This means that when you screw the two halves of the closure together, the wires do not move or twist at all (being attached to the necklace) so the necklace does not become twisted! I hope this explains how it works!

CraftyHope said...

Oh goodness! Those clasps are WAY TOO COOL!! You are a genius as well as a real artist. I just can't get over all the awesome you just revealed.

Stories They Tell said...

Of course I love them all but that last one is the bomb! In fact, if I had 2 of the side with the cord, I would wear them as earrings! Or the other side too! Brilliant!